Last month, when we first moved the bees over, we had a week of very harsh, overnight freezes. The beehives were moved from a very sheltered spot at our rental to our new house which has constant wind and very few trees. The hives were set under two of our largest oak trees between the shed near the house and a brush hedge and we hoped that would have been enough.
However, in that first week the temperatures and wind proved to be a little too much for our little apiary. Considering that each hive boasts thousands and thousands of bees, our loss of a few hundred wasn’t too devastating, but it hurt all the same. In a perfect world we wouldn’t have lost any bees.
Trevor has put off his initial spring inspection, waiting for warmer weather, as to keep from chilling the hives. If there is enough growth in the hive he may decide to split one or both of them giving us more beehives. But I think that our recent bee massacre will delay spring splitting until next year.
I’ll get back to you on that. Cross your fingers and hold your breath.