I think I did pretty darn well for my first batch of soap from scratch. I didn’t burn myself, I didn’t spill lye on my clothes, I kept it away from the kid and the dog, I pre-drilled holes on my homemade mold box and didn’t split the wood, and the soap even set up like it was supposed to! Taking the time to pre-drill holes while building was probably my biggest accomplishment during this whole project.
I mean really guys– I wish you knew how accident prone I am. I once sliced through my fingertip with a wood burner. A few years ago I attached my hand to a wall via nail gun. I can’t even count how many times I have burned myself on the oven… and waffle iron… and cook pan. I am so notorious for hurting myself that last year, my mother bought me elbow-length oven mitts. It’s bad.
Aaaaanyway. The soap looks and smells awesome! The wooden loaf mold I made worked like a charm. Since I lined it with parchment paper, the soap slipped right out without so much as a thought. I sliced the loaf up into about 12 generous bars (and cut off the sad looking parts) and set them up in an open box to cure over the next four weeks. Some of the bars are a little misshapen so I am thinking of felting them and then giving them as holiday gifts. I’d hate to sell my first batch just because I am so inexperienced. I’d like to use this same recipe again and make a nicer looking soap. Then I will sell some of my Old School Soap with Frühlingskabine honey in our online Etsy shop.
Excuse my sickly man voice… (I have a cold.)